ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sign Language Hands


This is an observational drawing project focusing on hands and the sign language alphabet. Students first practiced by drawing a simple contour line drawing of their hand in their sketchbooks. Then they drew another one, this time with shading. I find that drawing from observation is the fasted way to improve one's drawing. It may not be 'easy', and many students complain at first (at least mine did! lol) but once they get into it and start seeing the results, they start having a bit more confidence and faith in the process.

I had them do a value scale beforehand and really tried to emphasize to the students to use the full range of values. Alot didn't or found it hard to do-- it seems like it's very hard for them to include black, even though we use drawing pencils and I really emphasized it to them...
 Students had to do a minimum of three hands.
For the background, they could do whatever they wanted in the media of choice.

Practicing in sketchbook...


Drawing the good copy...


Creating a background- I found that many of the backgrounds 'overpowered' the pencil drawings themselves...so the next time I teach this I will tell students to choose a more soft and subtle background.


Here are some of the Grade 9 results:









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...