ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Black Glue Line African Animals Watercolour


I posted about this lesson a few years ago (see original post HERE) and had my Grade 8's recently finish it again. It's one of my all time favourite lessons: I love the combination of the dramatic black line contrasted with the loose fluidity of the liquid watercolours. 

So students start by choosing the face of an African animal of their choice. They draw this on heavy white paper focusing on line (no shading). Then, they trace over all the lines using a bamboo stick and black glue (white glue mixed with India ink). This year some students- gasp- revolted- against the bamboo stick and begged me to let them use a Sharpie. Ugh- I gave in but normally I don't. I must have been tired that day, haha.

 

I store my black glue in a plastic container with a lid and then put it into smaller 
containers for the kids to use.




I store my liquid watercolours in little sauce/condiment ups with lids. It works pretty good but some of them get stiiiinky by the end of the year...


Once the black glue has dried, they wet the entire paper and they just randomly lay down a mixture of liquid watercolours. They know that analogous colours work well together. 



Some Grade 8 results:










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...